S. Korean diplomat discusses NK human rights with US envoy
时间:2023-12-06 19:33:11 出处:뉴스阅读（143）
A senior South Korean diplomat has held talks with the new US special envoy for North Korean human rights and agreed to cooperate in launching a consultative body to better address the rights situation in the North, Seoul's foreign ministry said Tuesday.
Chun Young-hee, director general for the Korean Peninsula peace regime, and Ambassador Julie Turner met Monday and discussed efforts to coordinate over North Korean human rights issues, it said.
Turner, who is currently visiting Seoul on a three-day trip, was officially sworn in Friday, ending more than six years of vacancy at the post.
Chun congratulated Turner on her appointment, saying the two countries could strengthen joint efforts to improve North Korea's human rights situation and hold the North accountable for the issue.
He also proposed launching a consultative body on North Korea's human rights to discuss specific cooperative measures between the two countries, according to the ministry.
The two sides agreed to maintain close communication to launch the consultative body via diplomatic channels at the earliest date possible. (Yonhap)
- Seoul subway workers vote for strike plan
- 北, 러시아 외무장관 방북 발표…내달 18~19일 방문
- 163 S. Koreans arrive home from Israel on military aircraft
- HiteJinro to produce soju in Vietnam
- [Korea Beyond Korea] In Paris, soaring demand for Korean studies yet to be fully met
- Enjoying Halloween in Itaewon sparks debate online
- Cast of ‘Norma’ says opera difficult to sing but easy to enjoy
- MBK chairman makes donation to promote Korean art at New York's Met
- [view] 민심 더 싸늘해지는데…감동 없는 김기현 2기